The mission of Texas State Education Abroad is to support the comprehensive internationalization plan of Texas State University by providing safe, accessible, academically dynamic, geographically diverse, and culturally enriching global educational experiences to our students.
- Academic Integrity. We strive to enhance students' education with quality, meaningful, and rigorous academic programs abroad.
- Responsible Global Engagement. We offer programs that prepare students to be inter-culturally competent, globally aware, and responsibly engaged citizens of the world.
- Teamwork. We, as a team, work hard to achieve our common goal to support faculty and students in pursuing global academic experiences.
- Respect. We strive to create an environment in which people respect and listen to one another, maintaining a professional demeanor in both conduct and appearance.
- Conscientiousness. We make every effort to be accurate, efficient, and resourceful in our work. We are thoughtful, attentive, and considerate. We value initiative in problem-solving.
Texas State Education Abroad will expand the use of its resources to foster greater study abroad opportunities for a continuously growing number of study abroad students.
Education Abroad Goals
- Maintain high academic standards for all study abroad programs offered by Texas State University.
- Strive for diversity of study abroad programs in regards to: geographic location, disciplines, length of the program, and types of programs/models of teaching.
- Enhance students' personal, academic and professional development.
- Enhance students' global awareness and social responsibility.
- Enhance students' cultural understanding through extensive advising and superior on-site services and programming.
- Engage with host communities abroad by incorporating service-research, internship, or volunteer opportunities into Education Abroad programs.
- Support faculty Education Abroad initiatives.
Global Learning Outcomes
- Students will gain an appreciation for cultures different from their own.
- Students will seek to engage in meaningful interactions and relationships with individuals from their host culture and from a culture different from their own.
- Students will gain a sense of civic and global responsibility.
- Students will gain an understanding of the interconnectedness of economic, political, social global systems in relations to the country where they have an education abroad program.
- Students will gain an understanding of the global significance of each program's city and country, within the area of the humanities, economy, politics, art, culture and/or region.
- Students will gain knowledge related to their academic discipline or professional aspirations in the context of their education abroad program location.
- Students will gain new perspective of their fields of study.
- Students will develop intercultural competencies and communication skills.
- Students will develop a new perspective on one's own culture and ability to think critically about one's own values and beliefs.
- Students will develop the ability to articulate their cultural experience; and learn about and from the environments in which they live and study.
- Students will increase proficiency in the language of the host country.
- Students will develop skills in data collection and/or lab techniques through a unique field experience offered by the host country.
Code of Ethics for Education Abroad
Texas State Education Abroad is committed to ethics in our study abroad programs. Refer to the Web site of the Forum on Education Abroad for more information.