Skip to Content

Internship Program Important Information

Expand All Content

    Affiliated programs are offered by third-party providers who have an official agreement with Texas State University. Texas State Affiliated providers are selected based on their credentials, commitment to academic quality, health & safety practices, and reputation in the international education community.

    Affiliated programs enable Texas State to expand the variety of study abroad opportunities beyond Faculty-Led and Exchange programs. 

    Most of these Affiliates offer programs all year long, and the duration of their programs may vary from two weeks to a full academic year.

    The cost of affiliated programs, in most cases, is based on a package, which might include tuition, accommodations, meals, an on-site program director, in-country orientations, airport pick-up, health insurance, excursions, etc. All Affiliated program costs are paid directly to the program provider. Due to the vast variety of programs offered by Affiliated providers, the costs vary with each program.

    Some Affiliated programs involve placing student participants in classroom settings that follow American classroom conventions. Usually, there are no local students taking the courses, so student interaction with the local population happens through home stays or social events. Other providers offer direct enrollment, which means that American students can register directly at local universities. Under this model, participants will, in most cases, will have full immersion in the local culture.

    While participating in affiliated programs, students will earn transfer credit but will remain enrolled at Texas State University.



  • Admission requirements vary depending on the program. In general, undergraduate or graduate Texas State students who have completed at least one semester, who are in good academic and discipline standing, and who have good academic references are eligible to apply. In addition, some programs might have special language or minimum GPA requirements.


    Applications for most programs are due the semester before the program begins. Since program space is limited, we strongly recommend that students start planning at least one year prior to their semester(s) abroad. There are two applications Texas State students must complete in order to participate in an Affiliated program - 1. Texas State Affiliated Program application, and 2. the Provider's application.

    The Texas State Affiliated Program application dates/deadlines are as follows:

    Fall, Academic Year (AY), and Winter Applications: 
    Open: February 1st
    Close: June 1st

    Spring Applications: 
    Open: May 1st 
    Close: October 1st

    Summer Applications: 
    Open: November 1st
    Close: March 1st 

    For specific deadlines regarding the Affiliated provider's application, please contact the program provider.

  • Undergraduate Steps for Transferring Education Abroad Credits

    Why do students need to complete this process before departing?

    • You will make the best course selection for your international program after talking to your advisor about your academic goals and degree plan.
    • You will understand how the classes you plan to take and credits you earn will apply towards your major, minor or general university requirements.

    • You will have a documented, and approved academic plan for your Education Abroad program.

    • If you do not complete this process, you may not receive academic credits for courses completed and may not be eligible for financial aid.

    1. Locate the Undergraduate Transfer Credit Agreement From (TCA) in your online Texas State online application.
    2. Complete TCA form and Course Descriptions and email them to the Education Abroad staff member:
      • Affiliated and Non-Affiliated Program Coordinator: Tania Vera Borunda (
      • Exchange Program Coordinator: Oleksandra Sehin (
      • Please cc the Education Abroad in the e-mail (
        • It is strongly advised to select more courses than what you really intend to take in case of course cancellations or schedule conflicts. Be sure to attach all course descriptions or syllabi (preferably in English), which you can find in university catalogs, websites, etc.
        • Obtain as much information as possible about each of the courses you plan to take. It is your responsibility to obtain course descriptions from your prospective host institution or Affiliated provider.
    3. An Education Abroad staff member will review your TCA form and forward it to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for course evaluation.
      • The Transcript Evaluator may need to contact you if any additional information is needed.
    4. The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will send the evaluated TCA form to your Advising Center to determine if the selected courses satisfy degree requirements.
    5. Once the Academic Advisor determines if the courses satisfy degree requirements, the form will be emailed to an Education Abroad staff member.
    6. An Education Abroad staff member will email the evaluated/approved TCA form back to you.
      • If you have questions regarding evaluated/approved TCA, please make an appointment with the Academic Advisor.
      • This process usually takes about 5-10 business days.
    7. At the end of your study abroad program, request that your host institution send an official transcript to Education Abroad:

    Texas State University
    Education Abroad 
    601 University Dr.
    San Marcos, TX 78666

    • Please be aware that some institutions are not prompt in providing official transcripts. It is your responsibility to make sure that the transcript is sent. Texas State cannot request transcripts on your behalf. It is recommended that you request at least two official transcripts, one for Texas State records, and one for your personal files.
    1. Education Abroad will deliver your transcript to the Office of the Undergraduate Admissions for processing. Courses and grades will not appear on Texas State transcripts until official transcripts from the study abroad program are received.

    Please review the TCA policies.


    While participating in an affiliated program, you are eligible to use your Texas State Financial Aid and Scholarships as long as you meet all financial aid eligibility requirements. It is recommended that you discuss your Education Abroad plans with the Texas State Financial Aid and Scholarships Office to go over your specific financial aid award and disbursement dates.

    In order to apply any Financial Aid & Scholarships that you may receive to the costs of your Affiliated program, you will work with the Texas State Financial Aid and Scholarships Office, as well as the Financial Aid division at your Affiliated provider's location. This is done AFTER you have been accepted into your Texas State Affiliated program.

    You may also qualify for several study abroad scholarship programs. Some of our Affiliated providers also offer specific scholarships or discounts to Texas State students, so we strongly recommend that you inquire about those financial opportunities. 

    For more information about Texas State Financial Aid & Scholarships, as well as other specific Education Abroad scholarships, please visit our Financial Assistance page. 

  • Contacting your Academic Advisor

    Contact your Academic Advisor(s)  and discuss your possible course options for interning abroad.

    When participating in Affiliated Programs to complete an internship students will receive upon successful completion of the course or courses, TRANSFER CREDIT HOUR(S). Discuss with your Academic Advisor which course is possible to transfer into your degree as transfer credit hours.

    In order to use your awarded Financial Aid and Scholarships to help you pay for your Affiliated Program(s) the course(s) you a plan to take abroad must be degree eligible, and you must be enrolled full-time.

    For Undergraduate students, the enrollment hours are the following  

    • Summer term enrollment must be 6 credit hours (including Summer I and Summer II terms)
    • Fall and/or Spring semesters enrollment must be at minimum 12 credit hours

    For Graduate students, the enrollment hours are the following 

    • Summer term enrollment must be 3 credit hours
    • Fall and/or Spring semesters enrollment must be 9 credit hours