GOLE Program Important Information
Students desiring to participate in summer 2021 travel programs are strongly advised to consider the significant impediments to global travel arising from the pandemic. Texas State University requires that student groups may not travel to countries or regions designated by the State Department as Travel Advisory Levels 3 or 4, which take CDC travel advisories into account.
The University continues to review the latest details on the pandemic effects to make informed decisions about prospects for any of its summer 2021 travel programs and further guidance is expected by mid-February 2021. In view of the personal time and financial commitments related to travel, please be advised to expect continuous changes to travel possibilities and it may be advisable to seek alternative academic or degree completion plans this summer.
If you would like to discuss your participation in an Education Abroad program or if you have any questions, please contact us at email@example.com
The Global Online Learning Experience (GOLE) programs are distinguished by virtual access to international content achieved through one or more of the following designs, that in addition to achieving academic learning outcomes, develop a positive and engaging international experience for students on social, cognitive, and emotional level (list below is not comprehensive).
- Supplemental or complementary lectures by international faculty
- Student collaboration with international online student teams or student partners
- Cooperative completion of projects, assignments, work products
- Remote lab time
- Open discussion forum between faculty and students of partner institutions
- Live events (such as but not limited to visits to relevant locations, presentations/lectures by guest speakers/experts, interactions with local community/students/host families
- Collaborative Online International Learning pedagogy and practices
Some of the benefits of the GOLE Program are:
- It costs the same as regular classes
- It is innovative and technology friendly for current generation of students
- It is accessible, bringing global opportunities to all students including those who due to financial, work, family, and/or other personal reasons are unable to travel
- It can inspire students to continue exploring the world through travel opportunities
- It can help students prepare for a successful education abroad experience in future semesters
- It helps students develop global competencies
- It internationalizes the curriculum and enhances the online and traditional in-class experiences
Some of the important points for the student enrollments:
- The GOLE courses will be offered through the Education Abroad Office
- Students must enroll in two GOLE courses (at least six credit hours)
- The delivery method of these courses will be either online or hybrid
- Total cost of program would not exceed the cost for regular on campus classes
- A $200 non-refundable program fee pre-payment will be required with application
- Each GOLE program includes two mandatory pre-program orientation sessions to provide technical and cultural training
- Students may apply for financial aid
- Eligible students may apply for the Gilman Scholarship
- Students application deadline is April 1, 2021
The Academic Program Director (APD) is the Texas State faculty member that is leading the GOLE program abroad. This faculty may not be the only instructor in your program.
Summer 2021 Applications
Open: March 8, 2021 (Subject to change)
Close: April 1, 2021
All GOLE programs require that the student be in good academic and disciplinary standing and meet any pre-requisite requirements for the specific courses. The student must also submit all necessary applications and supplemental documents prior to acceptance.
Occasionally, APDs will have specific requirements or require a meeting prior to being accepted. If a program does have these specific requirements, they will be stated in the program's online brochure.
While participating in a GOLE program, students are eligible to use their Texas financial aid and/or scholarships as long as they meet all financial aid eligibility requirements. It is recommended that you discuss your plans with Texas State Financial Aid & Scholarships to go over your specific financial aid award and disbursement dates.
For more information about Texas State Financial Aid & Scholarships, as well as other specific scholarships, please visit our Financial Assistance page.
Application Process Support
Please contact Education Abroad if you have any questions or concerns regarding your application, acceptance, payments, etc.
For questions specific to a particular program (i.e.: course delivery, assignments, activities, etc.) please feel free to contact the APD.