Affiliated Program Important Information
Students desiring to participate in summer 2021 travel programs are strongly advised to consider the significant impediments to global travel arising from the pandemic. Texas State University requires that student groups may not travel to countries or regions designated by the State Department as Travel Advisory Levels 3 or 4, which take CDC travel advisories into account.
The University continues to review the latest details on the pandemic effects to make informed decisions about prospects for any of its summer 2021 travel programs and further guidance is expected by mid-February 2021. In view of the personal time and financial commitments related to travel, please be advised to expect continuous changes to travel possibilities and it may be advisable to seek alternative academic or degree completion plans this summer.
If you would like to discuss your participation in an Education Abroad program or if you have any questions, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Undergraduate Steps for Transferring Education Abroad Credits
Why do students need to complete this process before departing?
- You will make the best course selection for your international program after talking to your advisor about your academic goals and degree plan.
You will understand how the classes you plan to take and credits you earn will apply towards your major, minor or general university requirements.
You will have a documented, and approved academic plan for your Education Abroad program.
If you do not complete this process, you may not receive academic credits for courses completed and may not be eligible for financial aid.
- Locate the Undergraduate Transfer Credit Agreement From (TCA) in your online Texas State online application.
- Complete TCA form and Course Descriptions and email them to the Education Abroad staff member:
- Affiliated and Non-Affiliated Program Coordinator: Tania Vera Borunda (email@example.com)
- Exchange Program Coordinator: Oleksandra Sehin (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Please cc the Education Abroad in the e-mail (email@example.com)
- It is strongly advised to select more courses than what you really intend to take in case of course cancellations or schedule conflicts. Be sure to attach all course descriptions or syllabi (preferably in English), which you can find in university catalogs, websites, etc.
- Obtain as much information as possible about each of the courses you plan to take. It is your responsibility to obtain course descriptions from your prospective host institution or Affiliated provider.
- An Education Abroad staff member will review your TCA form and forward it to the Office of Undergraduate Admissions for course evaluation.
- The Transcript Evaluator may need to contact you if any additional information is needed.
- The Office of Undergraduate Admissions will send the evaluated TCA form to your Advising Center to determine if the selected courses satisfy degree requirements.
- Once the Academic Advisor determines if the courses satisfy degree requirements, the form will be emailed to an Education Abroad staff member.
- An Education Abroad staff member will email the evaluated/approved TCA form back to you.
- If you have questions regarding evaluated/approved TCA, please make an appointment with the Academic Advisor.
- This process usually takes about 5-10 business days.
- At the end of your study abroad program, request that your host institution send an official transcript to Education Abroad:
Texas State University
601 University Dr.
San Marcos, TX 78666
- Please be aware that some institutions are not prompt in providing official transcripts. It is your responsibility to make sure that the transcript is sent. Texas State cannot request transcripts on your behalf. It is recommended that you request at least two official transcripts, one for Texas State records, and one for your personal files.
- Education Abroad will deliver your transcript to the Office of the Undergraduate Admissions for processing. Courses and grades will not appear on Texas State transcripts until official transcripts from the study abroad program are received.
Please review the TCA policies.
While participating in an affiliated program, you are eligible to use your Texas State Financial Aid and Scholarships as long as you meet all financial aid eligibility requirements. It is recommended that you discuss your Education Abroad plans with the Texas State Financial Aid and Scholarships Office to go over your specific financial aid award and disbursement dates.
In order to apply any Financial Aid & Scholarships that you may receive to the costs of your Affiliated program, you will work with the Texas State Financial Aid and Scholarships Office, as well as the Financial Aid division at your Affiliated provider's location. This is done AFTER you have been accepted into your Texas State Affiliated program.
You may also qualify for several study abroad scholarship programs. Some of our Affiliated providers also offer specific scholarships or discounts to Texas State students, so we strongly recommend that you inquire about those financial opportunities.
For more information about Texas State Financial Aid & Scholarships, as well as other specific Education Abroad scholarships, please visit our Financial Assistance page.
Contacting your Academic Advisor
Contact your Academic Advisor(s) and discuss your possible course options for your Education Abroad program.
In order to use your awarded Financial Aid and Scholarships to help you pay for your Affiliated Program(s) the course(s) you a plan to take abroad must be degree eligible, and you must be enrolled full-time.
For Undergraduate students, the enrollment hours are the following
- Summer term enrollment must be 6 credit hours (including Summer I and Summer II terms)
- Fall and/or Spring semesters enrollment must be at minimum 12 credit hours
For Graduate students, the enrollment hours are the following
- Summer term enrollment must be 3 credit hours
- Fall and/or Spring semesters enrollment must be 9 credit hours