Please refer to the document below regarding up-to-date Education Abroad fees.
Please review the tutorials for reviewing student applications.
The International Teacher Identity Card (ITIC) is a useful document for traveling junior high school, high school, college, university, or vocational school teachers. The ITIC is administered internationally by the International Student Travel Confederation.
The ITIC is the most widely accepted form of teacher ID card. While your regular faculty ID may or may not be recognized when traveling abroad, the ITIC is accepted as proof of teacher status in more than ninety countries around the world.
For more information, visit www.isicus.com/myisic.
- International Recognition
- Insurance: Cardholders are automatically covered by a basic sickness and accident insurance policy while traveling outside the U.S. Note: Texas State Education Abroad recommends additional insurance coverage.
- Twenty-Four-Hour Traveler's Assistance Help Line: Cardholders have access to a toll-free hotline for medical, financial, and legal emergencies.
- Low Teacher Airfares: Cardholders are eligible for reduced teacher airfares. Some fares are subject to restrictions.
- Discounts in the U.S. and Abroad: A complete listing of ISIC discounts is available at the STA Travel website. Note: STA Travel is not affiliated with Texas State Education Abroad.
Obtaining your ITICTexas State Education Abroad no longer issues the International Teacher Identity Card (ITIC). Faculty interested in applying for this card may do so online at www.myisic.com
Please click here for Program Application Completion FAQs.
Texas State University Education Abroad requires that all faculty-led programs have a full-service provider. In the field of education abroad, the term program provider refers to an entity that offers education abroad program services to students from a variety of institutions. These entities may be for-profit or not-for-profit organizations such as education abroad companies, travel agencies, professional organizations, or universities. These entities can be U.S. based or abroad. The role of the program provider is to complement the academic objectives and facilitate a culturally engaging experience for students, which enables the faculty leader to focus on learning outcomes. Providers design, implement, and support education abroad programs based on the program’s curricular objectives. By utilizing their existing infrastructure, universities have the flexibility to expand their program offerings while maintaining full oversight of curriculum. While faculty may have personal or professional contacts abroad who may be able to assist in developing an education abroad program, sometimes that kind of assistance might not be the optimal option to cover all elements necessary for a successful program, and to ensure the highest standards of health and safety practices. Program providers can offer a comprehensive service and will do more than just help with logistics.
Overall advantages of working with a program provider:
- One comprehensive contract with a single provider can cover all aspects of the program, as opposed to needing multiple contracts.
- The institution can distribute funds for all aspects of the program to a single program provider thus streamlining processes.
- Providers, particularly if they are based in the United States, understand the institution’s concerns related to health and safety and carry liability insurance.
- Their expertise helps minimize risk and liability for the institution.
- Provide on-site/regional support to students and faculty leaders in challenging or emergency situations.
- While the cost of a full-service program provider may be slightly more than if you were to make arrangements on your own, the provider’s arrangements allows you to focus on teaching, learning, and course content without the hassle, worry, and the liability that comes with self-arranged programs.
The program provider may include the following services:
- Staff member to assist the group upon arrival and on location.
- 24/7 Emergency services.
- Local expertise and resources Airport pick-up.
- Accommodation in home stays, hotels, apartments, or dorms.
- Local cell phones for faculty.
- Public transportation (tickets/passes).
- In-country group transportation.
- Classroom space.
- Orientation meetings, guided sightseeing, welcome packs etc.
- Excursions and cultural activities.
- Service learning or volunteering.
- Guest speakers or lectures.
- Liability insurance.
- Promotional materials and pre-departure information
"A third-party provider is an essential part of any study abroad program. Our provider not only knows the local culture, and provides contacts with local businesses, health care providers, local guides, and translators, but also reduces the APD’s risks and liabilities."
- Dr. Jack Mogab, Finance and Economics
"Working with a third-party provider has been to our great advantage. Our Austin-based third-party provider works hard to customize our study abroad program and to meet our program requirements. The provider arranges accommodations, local transportation, specified meals and even works with us to coordinate our field visits. The company arranges air tickets for faculty and any students traveling with us or on their own if they requested. At our request, they also found us an excellent local tour manager who assists us and stays with us throughout the duration of our program. This enables faculty to focus on teaching their classes and spend time discussing with their students rather than worry about the logistics of the program."
- Dr. Sandy Rao, Assistant Dean of The Graduate College
Texas State approved program providers
Provider Countries of Service African Heartland Journeys* South Africa Amizade Austria, Brazil, Belgium, Bolivia, Ecuador, England, Germany, Ghana, Italy, Jamaica, Morocco, Netherlands, New Zealand, Ireland, Poland, Spain, Trinidad and Tobago, Tanzania Aspire* The Netherlands, Iceland, Nepal Austral Education Group LLC* Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Mexico, Panama, Peru, Portugal, Spain, Uruguay Bestour* Greece CAPA Argentina, Australia, China, England, Hong Kong, Ireland, Italy, Spain Cara Group Travel Ireland, Scotland, United Kingdom CEA Study Abroad Argentina, Australia, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, England, France, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, South Africa, Spain CIEE (Council on International Exchange)* Argentina, Australia, Botswana, Chile, China, Costa Rica, Czech Republic, Denmark, Dominican Republic, England, France, Ghana, Germany, India, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Mexico, Morocco, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, South Korea, South Africa, Spain, Taiwan Educational Services Abroad (ESA) Belgium, England, France, Germany, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain, Switzerland Florence School of Fine Arts Italy GIOBA Czech Republic Heart Light Ghana (HLG)* Ghana International Service Learning (ISL) Belize, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, India, Mexico, Panama, Peru, Tanzania International Study Programs Australia, Cambodia, China, Europe, India, Israel, Japan, Malaysia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, South Africa, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, UAE Kulturinstitut (IKI)* Austria MEDICC* Cuba Millenium Tours Africa: Botswana, Cameroon, Cote d'Ivoire, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Mauritius, Morocco, Rwanda, Seychelles, South Africa, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda. Asia: China, Cambodia, India, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar (Burma), Nepal, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, Vietnam. Central America: Belize, Costa Rica, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Panama. Europe: Austria, Belarus, Belgium, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Great Britain, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Moldova, Netherlands, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland. Middle East: Israel, Jordan, Kuwait, Turkey, Qatar, UAE. Oceania: Australia, Fiji, New Zealand. South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru. Sant'Ana Institute * Italy Sol Education Abroad Argentina, Costa Rica, Mexico, Spain Southbridge Access LLC Latin America Tayra Educational Expeditions SA* Costa Rica Tec de Monterrey Mexico The Asia Institute Australia, Bangladesh, Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, India, Indonesia, Japan, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Mongolia, New Zealand, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Sri Lanka, Thailand, Taiwan, Vietnam Third Millennium Alliance* Ecuador Trident* Japan Umbra Institute* Italy Universidad Castilla de la Mancha* Spain Universidad de las Americas* Ecuador WorldStrides Africa: Ghana, Kenya, Madagascar, Malawi, Morocco, Rwanda, South Africa, Tanzania. Asia: Borneo, Cambodia, China, Dubai, India, Indonesia, Israel, Japan, Jordan, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore, South Korea, Taiwan, Thailand, UAE, Vietnam. Europe: Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, England, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Serbia, Scotland, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland. Oceania: Australia, New Zealand. Central America: Belize, Costa Rica, Dominica Republic, Ecuador, Guatemala, Mexico, Panama. South America: Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Galapagos, Peru.
* Under review. If you would like to work with one of the providers under review, please contact Education Abroad for more information.